Welcome to the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain knowledge base.
This knowledge base is a “wiki”, which is a collection of pages anybody can make changes to. (Wikipedia is the most well-known site which uses wiki software.) Using this software we are collaborating on resources that should be of use to cycle campaigners in the UK.
The documents here are not yet complete: you might find some pages that simply have not been written at all yet; other pages might look complete but you should be aware that they may not have been fully reviewed for accuracy and style, and these pages do not necessarily reflect the policies of the Cycling Embassy or the views of all those associated with it.
We are currently working on:
What should good cycle infrastructure look like? How should cycling be catered for?
2011 Field Trip
a directory of resources arising from our study tour of the Netherlands.
2012 Policy Bash
Pages supporting our weekend Policy Bash
record of Infrastructure Safaris past and planned
The Cycling Embassy Book
Documents for planning the book
Gathering together responses to various consultations
Books owned by the Embassy or individual members which may be of use in developing these resources
A gathering place for typical costings for different types of infrastructure
- Dutch Cycle Infrastructure
- technical documents explaining the standards for cycling infrastructure in the Netherlands and the evidence for their effects on safety, convenience, and comfort of users, as well as their wider benefits.
- Common claims and canards
- an index of claims that are frequently made about and against cycling and cycling infrastructure, and our responses to them — the cycle campaigner’s handbook to arguing about cycling!
- Local cycle strategies
- A checklist for groups looking at (or developing) their local authorities’ strategies
- Cycle helmets
- information on the effectiveness of cycle helmets and their promotion
- Barriers to cycling
- the evidence that subjective safety is the major barrier to cycling
- Research docs
- a bibliography of useful research papers and reviews.